Responsibilities include various accounting functions in other areas of the Finance
Department. Individuals are expected to apply knowledge of payroll to regular and
recurring work situations. Work is reviewed for accuracy, conformance to established
procedures and use of independent judgment when required.
JOB LOCATION AND EQUIPMENT UTILIZED:
Work is performed in an office environment. Equipment utilized includes standard office
equipment and personal computer with associated software and peripherals.
Includes but is not limited to such essential functions as listed below:
• Receive, audit, process and coordinate all employee information related to the payroll
operations. Audit and review timecard and payroll records and make corrections as
identified. Responsible for ensuring direct deposits are accurate and up-to-date.
• Process all personnel actions for pay changes, new hires, and terminations. Calculate
payoffs and retro pay actions received from Human Resources. Review compensatory time
payouts and exempt overtime processes.
• Post various payroll information to PC spreadsheets such as sick leave, leave without pay,
and retirement. Reconcile Retirement Transmittal report.
• Prepare sick leave reports for individualized review by Finance Director or department
supervisor. Track donated leave and make adjustments to ensure proper tracking and
accounting of all leave hours.
• Monitor and review payroll rates used to implement various labor contracts.
• Distribute payroll reports to department heads.
• Review payroll edits for accuracy, stuff envelopes, sort payroll checks, review fringe
benefits, employee deductions, and pay rates as required.
• File payroll and various reports each pay period.
• Respond to inquiries regarding leave, benefits and other payroll requirements.
• Maintain payroll records and archive when appropriate.
• Perform the duties of the payroll specialist in the absence of the incumbent.
May also perform related job functions from time to time that are consistent in nature with
the essential functions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of bookkeeping, accounting and payroll principle practices.
• Ability to operate and automated payroll system.
• Ability to accurately process high volume of transactions.
• Knowledge of debit and credit bookkeeping practices.
• Knowledge of payroll procedures.
• Ability to maintain financial records.
• Word processing skills and ability to operate a personal computer, copy machine,
calculator, FAX machine, and other standard office equipment.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
REQUIRED PHYSICAL TRAITS:
• Manual dexterity to utilize a computer and standard office equipment.
• Visual acuity to read written and numerical materials.
• Ability to speak and hear to exchange information.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
• Ability to bend, kneel and stretch to retrieve file records, and lift same.
Associates degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related field plus two (2) years
experience in accounting, bookkeeping or payroll, preferably computerized payroll in a
Duration: 3 weeks